Avalon Rentals & Sales

About Hilton Head Island

Hilton Head Island is named after the English explorer Captain William F. Hilton, who in 1663 surveyed our island while sailing from the Caribbean island of Barbados. Captain Hilton was so impressed with the beauty of our island that he named it after himself and we became known as "Hilton Head Island."

During the Civil War our island was home to thousands of Union Soldiers, while artifacts and relics discovered on our island date as far back 10,000 B.C. and are the remains from our earliest inhabitants: the Native American tribes of the Combahee, Edisto and Ashepoo.

In the 1950’s developer Charles Fraser was so inspired by the natural beauty of our island that he developed and built Sea Pines Plantation, our island’s first resort community. Today the strict guidelines used by Charles Fraser in respect to our islands natural environment have been both admired and recognized nationally.

Today Hilton Head Island is best known for its 12 miles of beautiful beaches. Our island is the 2nd largest Barrier Island on the east coast and is home to a variety of wildlife. On any given day your family may encounter a bottlenose dolphin, snowy egret, blue heron, white tailed deer, an occasional manatee or a lazy alligator basking in the sun.

P.O. Box 22435 • Hilton Head Island, SC 29925 • Toll Free: 1-800-346-2490 • Fax: 843-757-4801
We accept the following major credit cards:
Hilton Head Island-Bluffton Chamber of Commerce Vacation Rental Managers Association